Thursday, May 20, 2010

THAT'S MY PROBLEM

Season update: It's been tough. A cold, rainy, windy May has made this turkey season one of the toughest in recent memory. Add to that the old man dying and trying to get this church together, and it's no wonder I'm ready to snap. Case in point: After the flying boots incident i had another opportunity to fling a shoddy consumer product. The object of my fling this time was a roller pole that never even made it until lunch break....combined with 4 greeters (again at a little table) talking R Kelly and the one person doing something running out of cash register paper. I held the defective pole and a new pole in my hands. Instead of waiting I just bought the new pole. On my way back to the truck I looked down and realized i had tossed the good pole. I bought the shitty pole TWICE.

On Monday I was walking across the first paddock, on my way to the woods at 5:30 AM. A coyote was slinking along the the opposite fence line. I dropped to my knees but he caught me and turned. As soon as he crested the hill I ran to the fence line. He was about 50 yards out. I barked and he stopped. I fired. He jumped. I had stung him but he was too far. He came right at me along the fence at full tilt. I pumped another shell in and tried to level the sights. My second shot went right over his head. He ducked the fence rail and was gone. Damn. Later i went down to Bird's and had 4 jakes in my lap, but held out for the tom gobbling in the distance. The noon whistle blew as my dinner ran off. This bar-b-q could be heavy on the salads.
This morning I forgot my face mask and spooked two toms in the field with my white beard. I called on and off from 6 AM until 7:30 before giving up and heading back to the car. Calling on the way, I raised a gobble and got in 4 hot toms. It was so thick I could barely see their heads. My beard was zipped up in my coat and my hat was pulled down low. They cleared the brush to my left, I swung, fired and missed. Surprise. I any how, I hunting as much as i can, working, rehearsing hymns and trying to get prepared for this church. But like Snidely Evits (my electrician) says- "Don't make your problem my problem."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home