Thursday, June 2, 2011

WHAT HAPPENS IN CHURCH STAYS IN CHURCH

For years people have asked me about the CLGM. Sometimes it's some lost Hassidic family stopping by to peep the neighbor's camels. Sometimes it's a clueless family member or old friend who has reconnected after 40 years. Other times it's an art student or writer of some hipster mag. looking to make sense of what they have just witnessed. I struggle with trying to put 25 years of evolving theology into a coherent sound byte. I even started a facebook page for the church. (See facebook.com/clgm for a thumbnail sketch). But all attempts fall short.
   There are many things I do in this world where I wish I had a little more recognition, or money coming my way. MO David North is a commercial gallery where you can actually buy art. I do static work under three different names- Kristan Kohl, Richard Mauwra and Mike Osterhout. All this work may be written about and purchased. I write plenty of songs that may be recorded by others and have tape from three different projects- Purple Geezus, Black Tractor, and a solo called LUCKY 13. WSSP, WSSP II and the HOLLY WITCHEY PROJECT all show what I can do with a hammer and saw. I can be bought. But how about the church? That's a different story.
   The CLGM stands alone as a project that does not need nor want press or money. The reality of what has developed in terms of congregation is so satisfying and heart warming that press would only ruin it. So it is I ask all members of the congregation to keep it under your hat. Sure you can tell your friends but do not write about it or talk to any reporters. We have a great thing going here. I know it's hard to wrap your head around something that you don't want to go viral in a world that judges every thing by thumbs up and comments. So the next time someone asks what the fuck that church thing is all about? State very simply "What happens in church stays in church." Amen.

2 Comments:

At June 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Adriana Magaña said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At June 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Adriana Magaña said...

I couldn't agree more! For 7 1/2 years I booked and ran the Happy Birthday Hideout where I wouldn't allow anyone to video anything. I wanted it all to be burned into the memories of those who would remember. Accolades by the Village Voice and others could not change my mind. And here today, in the shadow of the all powerful search engine, there is little to be found about HBH. I could have turned it into an art project or a coffee table book or anything else. Maybe I am/was just lazy but i wanted it to be there in the time that temporary autonomous zones occupy and nowhere else.

Cheers to you Mike and to our wonderful congregation and church. Many thanks and lots of LOVE!

btw- man you owe me $$$

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home