Friday, August 25, 2017

THE GREAT DENIALIST

"The combination of heavy rain, "life-threatening" storm surges, folding and strong winds could leave wide swaths of South Texas "uninhabitable for weeks or months."- National Weather Service

I don't know whether read and write about history or just watch it unfold and report back. The gulf coast of Texas where John P. Osterhout was stationed with the Confederate army near Galveston, is about to be hit with a hurricane, the likes of which we haven't seen since Katrina almost wiped out New Orleans on the same day in 2005.
    I'm deep in my Osterhout research, reading old copies of the J.P.'s Bellville Countryman, and letters to his wife Junia from the rebel encampment. "I am now leaning against a big tree...on my right my frying pan and sack...on my left my hat....The weather is favorable now....The Sgt. major and a negro went to the beach yesterday and got plenty of oysters...I wish you could be here to enjoy some with us. They say there are enough to load five hundred wagons and leave plenty for seed...Firing constantly in the direction of Galveston...I trust the Lord will be merciful to me and preserve you and my dear children in health and strength...when this miserable, cruel, wicked war is over."
   In the summer of 2016 Galveston Judge Mark Henry declared the Texas oyster industry in a state of disaster. "These oyster farmers endured Hurricane Ike, algae, red tide, drought and now an influx of fresh water from flooding." Although the judge does not mention global climate change as a contributing cause to the oyster crop's demise, the implications are clear. Up to three feet of rain is predicted to accompany Hurricane Harvey, expected to make land fall this afternoon. CNN quoted Corpus Christi mayor as saying "We never had anything like this." I feel for the oysters and people of Texas. In my research going back to the 1600's both the Indians and Moravian missionaries talked of climate change coinciding with the arrival of the European invasion. I hope the Trump Cafe in Bellville, Texas has a second story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home