Saturday, October 24, 2020

SING ME

 

   When I first started to blog the internet offered the option to record your voice over the phone. I was writing plenty of songs at the time, so I used the option to sing and play guitar into the phone. Then blogspot dropped the option. I lost all those recordings. Luckily I still have Josh Druckman and his state of the art Outlier Studios a short drive away. This is one of the many perks I receive from living in this community- pity recording time. Here's a few lyrics from a recent session:    

Lord help us 'cause we're a little light now

Just a nickle short

Living on the somehow

Fer Christ's sake sometimes we're hungry

You've eaten all the steak

Left us nothing but baloney

All eyes gaze to the heavens

You can't pay the rent

America

America

America - um hum

Everybody says these times are uncertain

You don't want to see what lies behind that curtain

Hear that eagle scream as he flies down the river

America

America

'merica

Fuck Us All

Slavery since 1619

We made a lot of money killing off the Indians

God watched. "What's all the commotion? You better not get no abortions."

Fer Christ's sake you must be horny

Ain't you getting tired of slamming your salamis?

   Songs are like drawings. They come when they feel like it, are fast, a little rough and serve the purpose of an immediate outlet. Practicing and singing them allows for a cathartic release of controlled breath, calming one down and fills countless hours with a proactive activity. I stopped performing solo in public years ago. Fronting a rock band or even a church is so much more fun than sitting in a chair with a guitar and struggling to remember my own words. The singer/songwriter thing was never for me. The bottom line is I'm just not that good at it. Yet, I keep at it in private and entertain myself to no end. Come over some time and I'll sing you a song.

   I've written poetry since the 1970's, fronted rock bands from the 80's into the 2000's and never bought a guitar until 2001. I didn't come from an artistic or musical family so my influences were accessed through cultural osmosis and hit and miss experimentation. A horrible music teacher in fourth grade so traumatized me into believing I had no musical talent whatsoever that I missed out on being in bands in the 60's and 70's. Educators take note: EVERY KID ON EARTH HAS MUSICAL ABILITY! The world would be a better place if art and music was encouraged. I never even tried to play music until Punk Rock granted me agency to fail. In fact that Punk era taught me that failure could be really fun. Confidence and attitude supersedes talent any day. 90% of the fun of life is having the balls to fail. I'm  trying to keep that tradition alive.

Lord help us 'cause we're a little tight now

Just a nickle short 

Living on the somehow

Someway

If only....

Ain't you sick and tired of only eating baloney?

All eyes gaze to the heavens

You can't find a job

America

America 

America

Fuck Us All!

     

      


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home