Sunday, December 20, 2020

BLOOD IN THE SNOW

 Three days left. What started on October first, with warm weather and yellow leaves still clinging to branches, is now winding down in cold December woods. The recent storm dumped 18 inches of snow and the temps tumbled to five degrees. All my talk of the "perfect"conditions of extreme doe hunting, in reality produced a shutdown. The woods were empty. Nothing, not a squirrel, chickadee or deer moved for three days. But that didn't stop any of my deer hunting crew from getting on stand.

The report: UB- nothing. No tracks or sightings in Orange County. GHPhoto- some tracks and bobbing tails of busted deer in Ulster County. No shots. Savage- he saw one doe behind him at 40 yards. By the time he got the gun up the deer had vanished. Bird- finally a shot at a doe went unexpectedly wrong. Brown hair, a bit of spray and a few drops of a blood trail that stopped after 20 yards. Either gut or brisket. He's disgusted. He had his gun zeroed in. As for me, my luck is holding.

    My resolve to take a doe as of Wed. afternoon was predictably met with no deer. Walking in knee deep snow, bundled against the brutal cold is a workout for anyone. Let me remind you we are all over 65. I'm feeling like I can still do it, so I hump it to hunt stands directly uphill, thinking ahead for a downhill drag of a big doe. It now takes twice the time to get set up, drenched in sweat and exhausted. X hunting is not for the wimpy.

   Yesterday I returned to the north slope of GNJohn's mountain. I hadn't hunted it since the first week of gun season. The path was straight up. By 1 pm I was beat, but in the stand. I was encouraged by all the tracks, beds and even large patches of leaves dug up by deer foraging for acorns. At four pm I spotted a brown back behind a tree. FINALLY! I had plenty of time. She was crossing in front of me at about 75 yards. Slowly I shouldered the gun and settled the crosshairs behind her shoulder.....clicked back the hammer.....and squeezed the trigger. The boom and cloud of white smoke revealed the doe standing in place, looking around. I'd completely missed. HOW?

   Second chances on deer with a bow or a muzzleloader are few and far between. Yet, I've had them before and actually made them pay off. Last year's bow buck was a second shot. After he turned from the first arrow, I drilled him with a second. But knocking an arrow is nothing compared to reloading a muzzleloader in the freezing cold. 

    As that doe looked around trying to pinpoint the source of the smoke and noise I fumbled for powder, a bullet, and a cap. Everything was wrapped in a crinkly plastic bag, wrapped with an elastic band. Gloves came off and dropped in the snow. I got the powder and slug in the barrel, slammed it down with the ramrod, opened the breech, removed the cap with my fumbling, frozen fingers and somehow got another one in place. As I scanned the woods for the doe, I spotted another deer cresting the hill. It was a smaller deer, but not a fawn. Then I looked out in front of me. At fifty yards stood the original doe staring right at me. I slowly raised the gun, settled the crosshairs on her chest....clicked back the hammer and squeezed. This time she jumped, ran towards me, and piled up in a cloud of snow. Success!

    I field dressed that doe, hooked up my orange drag and skidded her down the hill. I was able to back my Toyota up to the snow bank and fold her into the trunk. She was hanging in my porch by dark.  My sense of accomplishment at shooting that doe and getting her out the woods by myself is as great as scoring on any big buck. I've had a great season, as others struggle to even see deer. I feel very lucky and as the season winds down I count my blessings. The freezer is full and hopefully the crew will come up to my shack for the last two days to put on drives. Putting some deer in front of my lifelong friends would be a great way to end the season. Stay tuned. First (like Bird) I have to sight in my gun....AGAIN.              

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home