Saturday, January 30, 2021

COCKBURN- what Glen Wild needs

      I got more done in the last couple of days dealing with Deb el Foods and the DEC directly than I had in the past year of dancing around the issue. It was more than a little surprising to get a corporation and a state agency to respond to a complaint immediately. I'll take it. Looping GNJohn in, as the temperatures dropped, I sat on my computer wrapped up in T-shirts and sweaters emailing both Travis S. at Deb el and DEC engineer Susan Cockburn. Where had I heard that name Cockburn before? 

Hello Mike and John,

   Writing to reassure you that the Department of Environmental Conservation welcomes all comments and issues of complaints. 

Any photographs submitted that are both date and time stamped are most helpful. 

The Department just finished a meeting pertaining to your complaint called in yesterday. 

 

Deb El Foods holds a DEC issued Industrial SPDES Permit NY0272779 for wastewater discharge, it is an “egg washing facility”. 

SPDES[State Pollutant Elimination Discharge System] permits are created to protect water quality standards with Effluent Permit Limits.  

The Effluent Permit limits for the receiving water stream in question, the Neversink River, are based on its receiving water classification B(T). 

B(T) specifies: no drinking, but swimming and fishing are safe.

 

The Deb El Facility is currently under enforcement with the DEC, no specifics are available for release at this time.

There have been several inspections at the facility over the past year and there are potential violations.

 

  • For a look at the Deb El SPDES NY 0272779 Permit and its effluent limits, you can go to: https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/dil/   or   GOOGLE:  “DEC Info Locator” and look up the permit ID# for Deb El Foods.
  • For specific health concerns, you must contact the NYS Dept of Health which has its district office in Monticello, NY.  Or go to:  https://sullivanny.us/Departments/Publichealth
  • For a records pertaining to DEC Enforcement issues that have been completed and signed with Deb El Foods, you can file a Freedom of Information Law request (FOIL): R3foil.foil@dec.ny.gov and give the SPDES #, Facility Name, Location and the specific information you seek.

 

Sullivan County is my jurisdiction for Water Issues and Concerns.

Thank you again for your calls and follow up information, please know that it is appreciated.

 

With Kindest Regards,

Susan 

 

Susan L. Cockburn

Assistant Engineer, Division of Water

 

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation


Susan, 


    Thank you for addressing this so quickly. I do have some questions. Are there any plans for the DEC to test what comes out of that pipe in the spring to see if Deb el is in compliance or should I get someone to test it? All this sounds great as to the harmless nature of the discharge. The obvious and ugly visual of a pipe spewing liquid directly into the river remains. I grew up in Montgomery along the Wallkill River, a notoriously polluted body of water. That pipe reminds me of the 1950’s when raw sewage was regularly piped into the “kill” by businesses in town. If the discharge is in fact benign to swimmers and fish, can you explain why a set back onto a leech field or a more natural above ground “run off” stream would not be a possible option? How would a more natural short run of above ground effluent be a danger to the water table? If this pipe could be set back a short ways in the woods, hidden by foliage, it would at least solve the visual problem. Thanks so much for your (and the DEC’s) interest, action and cooperation in this matter. The community appreciates it. 

Best,
MO    


Hello Mike,

 

The DEC requires submission of DMR’s or Discharge Monitoring Reports from facilities.  Samples for all SPDES permit effluent limits are taken with regularity, submitted to licensed laboratories ,recorded and then verified for compliance.  By looking up the facility’s SPDES permit you will get a very good look at all the parameters in place for this waterway’s protection. 

 

When facilities first apply for a permit, the permit goes to public comment for review, etc. Questions much like yours below are often brought up. I believe those public and municipal responses and or comments, if any, are subject to a FOIL request as well.

 

Kindest Regards,

Susan

PS  I live in Montgomery, on the Wallkill River…I know what you speak of.


Then I realized where I knew the name from. I was wearing a T-shirt that had it emblazoned on the back.


Susan. 


    Did you run for mayor? I still have a T-shirt. I thought I recognized your name. I grew up on river road. My brother still lives in Montgomery. Deep family roots here and there. I think you live in the old Seligman house with the pillars? Too weird. So is there any reason from a DEC standpoint that they would not be allowed to set that pipe back? You understand our issue here. Even if it is totally harmless it is an ugly intrusion in an otherwise idyllic spot. If I proposed a set back and Deb el agreed, would it be a problem with DEC? Thanks for helping with this. I have the Church of the Little Green Man just above this spot on the river and we have a helluva nice community up here that swims in that spot. Stop by any time.


MO

Mike,

Town Supervisor 4 years.  Friends with Linda Osterhout.  I thought that name was connected ! 

I honestly don’t’ know the answer to your question but I will ask and relay back to you.  The whole waste distribution at Deb El is pretty involved and the distance from the plant to the river quite far.  I will let you know.

 

Nice acquainting with you I this manner.

I respect your concerns and ideas.

 

Kindest Regards,

Susan


 One of the T-shirts I was wearing while emailing the DEC says: "COCKBURN- what Montgomery needs." Linda Osterhout is my cousin. Susan L.Cockburn lives on the same road I grew up on along the Kill. All's well in the Matrix.  








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home