Friday, March 18, 2022

I'M BACK

    Nothing like a territorial battle for empire to get the creative juices flowing again. Coming out of a long and dismal winter, a pandemic that just won't go away, and depression creeping around every corner, I've finally hit my manic button during Putin's invasion of Ukraine. War and depression suck for anybody. I'm lucky enough to be safe and sound and blessed with the antithesis of sorrow (for now) - mania. I'm also very lucky to have an outlet for it. Writing (songs, columns and non-fiction), collage, painting, drawing and social sculpture give the Devil's idle hands something to do. Art never made me a penny, but it has kept me relatively sane and provided me with purpose.

   Like Putin, I need territory for my expression. It's the curse of being a prolific artist with no market or exhibition career. Nobody is giving me the clean white box or even dusty shit hole for that matter. In that respect I've always been on my own. I'm not complaining..... oh wait a minute.....Goddamn right I'm complaining! Why is it I'm forced to crank out the crap with no outlet other than my front yard and a dog shit speckled piece of grass in a town that does not exactly love my work? IT'S NOT FAIR I SAY. OK. I'm done complaining.

    Nobody said life was gonna be fair. In the past week I've done 100+ drawings, three social sculptures, a few blogs and continued editing the (F)ancestor catalog. The decision to return to the Social Sculpture Park did not come without much consideration. I know it won't be long before I piss someone off or someone pisses me off. The new work is pointedly political, but leaves enough to individual interpretation that somebody is bound to be offended. An old friend used to say when it came to his girlfriends "If you can't make 'em come, make 'em laugh." I feel the same way about my art work. As another friend was fond of saying, "I take my jokes seriously." I'm sure my days are numbered in Mountain dale. It's the nature of the beast. I'll try to enjoy it while I can. Lighten up.          

       

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home