Sunday, December 4, 2022

HILLBILLY HACKS

     It didn't start with the mouse in the bowl, but a leaky roof, clogged stove pipe, and bald truck tires. At my age (and everything else's) all is triage.  How long can one get away without spending money? I started out as a roofer right out of high school. Memories of black tar patch in my long, brown, hair come back immediately as I once again get the sticky crap in my long, white, hair, slathering it around my clogged stove pipe. The leak fixed, I turn to the pipe. Now it's time to make the decision to buy tires or take the truck off the road. I bought my first truck for the cost of a tank of gas. Tires will cost at least $1000. I take the truck off the road and borrow Shewho's SUV (with bald tires). Yesterday that car broke down and the toilet started running again. The roof's not leaking, but that could have something to do with the fact it isn't raining. 

    Without a car I'm at the mercy of the kindness of friends. Doctors' appointments, beer runs and trips to my deer stands require a lift. Savage is coming up at noon today for lunch. He'll hunt the cemetery stand while I'll either hunt Gilkey's or my new stand above the Hassidics. Because the Gilkey stand faces due west I'm blinded by the setting sun from 4:00 pm until dark - prime time. It's a better morning spot. Without a car it's a long hike down the hill. I'm looking at other forms of transport. A cat powered Cheeky cart? Roller skates? A skateboard? All will work going downhill. The walk home is the bitch.

    So as I wait for the diagnosis on Shewho's car, I turn off the water valve on the toilet, knock the clogged stovepipe (until the January full cleaning), check for leaks when it rains, and strategized which stand to hunt and figure out how to get a buck out if I score. I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow with the heart doc. Hopefully a kind neighbor will give me a lift. Maybe Medicare provides transport to the doctor's office and if I bring my rifle they'll drop me off at the cemetery on the way home. It's time to explore all my options. Or do I call the cement truck?      

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home