Wednesday, December 30, 2009

HAM IN THE KINDLING BOX

   When I returned to hunting in the early 90's I still lived in NYC's Lower East Side. I would grab my gun, wrapped in an old blanket, leaning on the wall near the door, walk down four flights of stairs, passing crackheads and drug dealers (also dressed in camo) and head for my old 70's Chevy. Pointing the big boat north, after working all night at the door of some bar, I bleary eyed hit the woods, either at Bird's or Wolf Lake. Whereas, before this I was less than serious about my hunting- now I was obsessed. It was this time in the woods that drew me out of the city. By 1995 I had purchased my house and church in Glen Wild. Now I could just step out my door. I was in heaven.
   For years I commuted to work back in the city as a restoration carpenter. In those days you couldn't make the money up here that you could in town. Plus the work in town was all high end and inside in the winter. But as time ticked by the commute took its toll. I even tried having an apartment in Brooklyn, but I was miserable during the week. I wasn't wired to be a weekender. Plus my pipes would freeze and skunks set up shop under the house. It probably took ten years, but finally I pulled out of the city entirely. I got a job turning a wreck of a bungalow into a show piece house and realized I could make a dollar up here in the sticks.
   Since then I've reclaimed two other houses and am about to start my fourth. No, my house and church are not done, but they are close. I hunt at least 3 months out of the year for deer and turkey, and make no money. I make art, write songs, own a pick up truck and still heat by wood. My little family of Shewho and Teehoo are set up out at WSSP and seem very happy. Yes, they are still city girls and there is a learning curve. They didn't have room for the Xmas ham in the tiny fridge, so Shewho put it on the back porch. Knowing this was too much temptation to the various critters about, I showed Shewho the proper way to secure the ham. "Here Honey, it goes in the kindling box." I rebuked gently. She moved it with a smile. She has too many teeth to be a real hillbilly, but she's working on it. To all my readers, have a happy and healthy New Year!  
    

1 Comments:

At January 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Matthew (a.k.a. Little D) said...

Had such a blast seeing you at Christmas! Hope you had a successful target practice when you got home!
Love ya, Katie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home