Thursday, May 27, 2010

WHY I DO IT

After a tough few weeks in the woods, the big one finally showed himself. I still only have one bird in the freezer. I missed a tom and passed on some jakes. Now, it's anything with a beard is going down. But what's really getting me up at 4 AM is the encounter i had with a slammer out in White Sulfur Springs. In this particular area I'd shot two big toms and Al Blanchard and I both bagged additional $100 tagged gobblers within the past couple of years. The other day I saw one that could have been part of that original tagged group. He stands 4 feet tall and his beard is dragging in the grass. When he gobbles my sphincter twitches and my palms sweat. I had him coming in twice, only to have him shut up at the last second and turn, never presenting a shot. He's one smart old bird. On Monday it's over. I GOT to get this bird.
Church is shaping up nicely. Both supermodels Marianna Louise and Hollie Witchey are on for the car wash, as well as GNJohn. The yard sale has all kinds of rusted treasure, broken chairs and old picture frames. The band of all faiths- Slick, Dreky, Richard, and Sarah is rocking and Al Blanchard has been working like a madman in order to make the place presentable. El Prof. and entourage are flying in from Cali, Chuck, Tristan and the Contessa's house is habitable and Shewho has cleaned the guest room and kitchen. Snidely rewired the porch and we installed one of those groovy 70's fireplaces. All in all the place is shining. Just before he died I heard the old man tell Vic Voegelin on the phone that he would've liked to make this one. He was real proud that i had paid off my mortgage. Hell, hearing that was enough. Dad, this one's for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home