Wednesday, February 8, 2023

SETTLED

    I couldn't sleep last night. I had an exchange late with Mi(x)lawyer and kept composing an email in my head aimed at 500 Capp. I can't count the sleepless nights the cancellation of the David Ireland House Show has given me since Xmas. Being one's own lawyer means not only recognizing the fool within, but the value of concise language. Like thinking I had perfect rhythm, it took a good drummer, and a really good lawyer to point out my failings in both keeping time and word smithing. Sure, I can rattle on for days on various subjects, but clearly communicate (without malice) addressing a possible lawsuit? That took some doing. By 6:00 am I couldn't lay in bed with Cheeky any longer. I got up and hit the laptop. 

   I worked on the email all morning, sent it to Shewho and Mi(x)lawyer for approval, and finally pulled the trigger, sending it to SF. It was a good one and I'd share it with you now, if I hadn't received another email about two minutes after I hit send. It was Cait Molloy.     

Dear Mike,

You may want to check a FedEx package that was just delivered to your front door.

 I had no idea what to expect. An NDA form? A counter-suit? A cease and desist order? An early Valentine's Day card? I carefully ripped open the package. There was an envelope and a letter. Inside the letter there was a substantial settlement check from The 500 Capp St. Foundation. I couldn't believe my one good eye. The letter stated that they hoped this would settle the matter. It did. I accepted it with thanks. The mess was over.

This resolution is of course bittersweet. I'm broke as shit and more than a little happy to get that check. I can pay my property taxes. The sad thing is that I won't be showing at DI's House anytime soon, which is a drag, but in the end the piece took so many unexpected twists and turns I think it will be interesting and engaging. We'll see. For now I'm incredibly relieved that it's over for all concerned. Many thanks to those who had my back during it all. You know who you are. Much love.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home