Monday, November 6, 2023

THE PEDESTRIAN HUNTER

 My truck is still in the shop. Luckily I can walk to all of my stands. It's good exercise. But, when I can get a ride I take it. Freddy, and Guru Sauce gave me rides down the hill last week and the other night congregant and friend Dirt Diva gave me a random sunset lift up the hill. But the most interesting pick-up of all was this afternoon. An unknown white SUV pulled over and cranked down the window. "Need a lift?" the young Hassidic man asked. This was a first. "Absolutely." I said and loaded my crossbow, pack and stool into his car. We introduced ourselves. "Moishe" was friendly and talkative. He said he had once got his hunting license "online," but had never gone hunting. I alway try to be open to new hunters. Plenty of friends express interest in going hunting, but never take it any further. Even the supermodels quickly lost interest. Can't smoke. Can't talk. Don't see anything. What fun is that?

So as Moishe and I drove down to the bridge I told him that any time he wanted to learn the ropes I'd take him hunting. His face brightened. "Really?" he asked."Yup." I insisted. "I live next to the church. You just knock on my door between now and Jan, 1st and I'll take you in the woods?" "The Church of the Little Green Man?" he asked warily, just to make sure he had the right church. I nodded. We shook hands again as he dropped me off and wished each other well. In my 30 years in Sullivan County that was the best encounter I ever had with a member of the other tribe.

I hunted all afternoon from the ground, above the bridge, repeating the strategy that had produced a big buck a few years back. Last night I did the same and had a six pointer creep up behind me. He wasn't a shooter, but it was fun. Tonight I had a spike come in, but that was it; very little action. I plan on hunting the morning at Julie Picasso's. Who knows what will unfold before I even climb in the tree. I hope I can get my truck back tomorrow. Although, I may keep walking. I feel way more connected to the world with my feet on the ground.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home