Friday, February 19, 2010

COYOTE CONTEST 2010 (MID DAY REPORT)

Today is the first day of a three day coyote hunting contest here in NY State. The Grand prize is $2000. So I'm in the woods. I was up before dawn and planned on starting the day in my deer stand down by the river, on GNJohn's land. It was cold, snowy and windy- suckass weather for coyote hunting. Nonetheless I was in the field right after first light. As I headed for the stand I had a change of plans. Instead of hugging the swamp, i cut across the field and.....I looked across the dead golden rod and there on Gilkey's hill, right off the Denniston grave marker, stood a coyote. Damn! As soon as I spotted him, he made me and slunk off. If I had stuck to my original plan I would've had a shot.
I set up by the river and called....and called.....and......you get the picture. Working my way along the hedgerows I ended up by the monument. The tracks went into the swamp, but I couldn't coax any thing out. I broke for coffee and then went across the road to hunt Rich Neighbor Butch's. I had the wind in my favor but a long slug through snow drifts and howling wind produced nothing. Now I'm back at the shack, eating cold pizza and strategizing the afternoon. A sighting on the first day is great. Let's see how the rest of the day goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home