Friday, November 19, 2010

BLOOD ON THE ARROW

I went back to spot where I shot that buck and tried to pick up the trail. All that wind the previous night had kicked up the leaves and there wasn't a trace of blood. I went down the ridge and tried to find a bed where i had spooked the buck out. Nothing. The turkeys were gobbling (unusual for the fall) and a big coyote stalked below me. I looked and listened for crows but the skies were quiet. I felt bad, but had no choice but to take Savage's advice and move on. All I could hope for was that the buck was not severely hurt and would recover from the wound.
Gun season opens tomorrow. I have one last afternoon to score with the bow. I saw a nice 8 pointer this morning on Majestic Farm, but he came in down wind and made me. He didn't spook bad, but cautiously moved back into the thick stuff. So, I waited an hour, climbed down and moved the stand farther down the ridge. Now i overlook a big white oak and the place is loaded with acorns. I know this place is going to produce late in the season, but for now all I can hope for is a hot doe is using the bedding area.
This afternoon I'll hunt Mupp's and only shoot a buck if I get the chance. My mom and nephew Waders are coming over today and I have plenty of doe tags for gun season in 3m. This is the first deer season I've hunted without the old man at least being on the other end of the phone. He always knew what to say to put things in perspective. My fuck ups and misadventures where always met with a laugh and positive advice. He had a way of letting me know that "never give up" was the only option. I sure do miss that. I stuck that bloody, bent arrow in my kitchen ceiling as a reminder. Next time wait. And if the shot isn't there, pass. The shooting starts at dawn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home