Tuesday, May 29, 2012

SLO-ART

Each night for the last 4 or 5 days I've been meaning to get up at dawn and go turkey hunting. One night I even stayed up, with a drink in my hand, waiting for the crack of light to peel across the eastern sky. I set the drink on the table, laid down (for just a minute) and that was all she wrote. I never made it. It's been a full on social sculpture weekend. A bunch of art, 3 venues, bands- The Zabellas and Golden Animals, a packed house every night of cool cats and beautiful women and no turkey hunting. If I hadn't shot two good gobblers I'd be tweaking. As it is I'm more than happy to sleep in and leave the birds alone.
   The term "Social Sculpture" was coined by German uber-artist Joseph Beuys. I don't really know what he meant by it, but I've taken it and run with it. In my world it's a term that seems to encapsulate my way of working to a tee. I use it literally. A gallery or church or rock band or school or even a house can be a social sculpture. In envisioning THE SOCIAL SCULPTURE WEEKEND i realized that the social aspect was as important (or more so) than the sculpture part. Of course you need the work. But that's never been a problem for me. I'm compulsive in my art making process. With no available venues, no market for sales, very little press and a small group of supportive friends and family I've been able to slowly build a body of work and now a way of showing (either through my own venues or friend's intimate spaces). My last show was at MARIANNA'S APARTMENT in 2009. The opening becomes the most important aspect in this way of showing. From then on it's word of mouth.
    I can't do this kind of work without the support and help of people much younger, hipper and more beautiful than myself. Friends and family Josh Druckman, Ambika Conroy,, Marianna Rothen, Hollie Witchey, Dave and Liz Markovitz, the McCormick/Hughes-Freelands, The Voegelins, The Ostis, the Buddes, John Letourneau and of course my one and only Samm Kunce lend spaces, hook up bands, take photos, bring people and generally spread the word. I never think more than 20 people will show up and am always amazed when 60 or 70 do. We are a real underground, tucked away in the Catskills, fueled by an incredible community of creative people. Their support is integral to my "slo" approach to an art career. It'll take some time. Bare with us. Remember ELECTRIC SOLSTICE FOXY BOXING FLASHBACK RAINBOW UNICORN TEMPLE OF THE LITTLE GREEN MAN is coming up Sat. June 23- 8pm. See you in church.
 

1 Comments:

At June 7, 2012 at 7:08 AM , Blogger RawDeal said...

You will lure plenty of Williamsburg hipsters by saying there's rainbow unicorns included in this event. Worm on a hook.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home