Monday, July 8, 2013

FORCE FEEDING MOS DEF

 I heard about this piece this morning on BBC. Someone was interviewing the guy who made the film of a performance involving Mos Def. He described rapper Mos Def, now known as Yasiin Bey, undergoing a a procedure that Guantanamo Bay prisoners endure twice a day. Because almost all of the prisoners are now so desperate, within their  indeterminate constraint, they have almost to a man decided to stop eating. This hunger strike is countered by the U.S. military doctors forcibly feeding the prisoners. To draw attention to this heinous, torturous act, Yasiin set up a very real tableau and with three cameras rolling, handcuffed and shackled, held down by two muscled men, three doctors tried to replicate the procedure. STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE is the film. I heard it on the radio, then went to work on the LION CAGE and didn't see the film until a little while ago.
    I always liked Mos Def. He's a great talent in music, acting and comedy. Now looks like the dude knows a thing or two about performance art. My day putting the roof on the cage was hot, sweaty, and strenuous to the degree that more than once I thought I just couldn't do it any more. Bronco Billy stopped by to check out my progress. He was sure it was a Gypsy Caravan. He seemed disappointed when i told him it was a lion cage. Everyone asks the same question: "Where you gonna get a lion?" My answer is consistent: "First the cage." The beauty of being an artist is NOT knowing things. These days there is an answer to every question at your finger tips. I know all I have to do is google lion- for sale or rent and I'll know the answer. I don't want to know. So quit asking. I do know where I can get a lamb and how much it will cost....but nobody seems interested in that.

But back to Yasiin Bey. Before I even took a shower after work, I googled "force feeding mos def" and the film came up. I recommend  everyone watch this piece. Mos could not stand the tube being shoved up his nose and down his gullet. He writhed and jerked in his restraints, as the doctors went to work. Then he stopped the piece. He just couldn't stand it. Imagine these already weak prisoners having to undergo this procedure twice a day, as their sentences stretch into eternity. When will Obama close Guantanamo? Ask Mos Def.  

1 Comments:

At July 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I read this and tried to stomach the video. Your tax dollars at work

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home