Monday, December 23, 2013

A WHORE FOR 2014

 Duchamp had chess. I have hunting. I'm not a chess player, but I can appreciate Duchamp getting lost in the game, and using it, with art, to define his identity. Unlike art, chess and hunting have an end game. A game is over, a season ends. You win. You lose. You are dependent on nobody but yourself. You succeed one year. You fail the next. Like art, with chess or hunting, you persist.....with or without pay. It becomes who you are. You can't quit if you wanted to.
    With the new year approaching I find myself in a reflective mood. 2013 was an unpaid sabbatical for me. I got through on savings and a gracious, modest inheritance from my folks. I sold no art (except Duke's $100 drawing). I made no hourly wage. I have no pension. Social Security is a year away and there's a lot of zero years. I won't make much. So now that this year is coming to an end, I have to face the cruel reality that once this money is gone, I'm dead broke....again. I've faced this before. It's no fun. I know I can do it, something always comes up. Since I have no kids, poverty doesn't scare me like it does most. But it does wear one down. I don't want to face it's ugly puss.
    So this year I've decided to make money a priority in my life. My father was a stockbroker, a savvy businessman. I inherited none of his gifts with the dollar. Hell, I burn them. Compound interest, derivatives and fiduciary responsibility.....I'm glazing over. I know how late in the game it is. And I also know I gotta get paid. In 2014 it's all about the green. You want me to write? Pay me. You want me to sing? Pay me. You want me to play guitar? (And I realize many don't). Pay me. You want art, you want church, you want pictures of pretty girls? Pay me. I know this may seem harsh, but the time has come. I'm selling out.

Yeah, yeah....I know I've tried to sell out many times in the past, only to not be able to stop my compulsion for the process, even without a buyer. So I give it away, whether you want it or not. This time's different. The only way I'm getting on my back in 2014 is to be paid for it. Get used to it. I promise to give you more than your money's worth. I'm worth every penny. Lets make this year one we can all remember. If you're buying, I'm selling. Just leave the cash on the dresser.      

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home