Wednesday, November 24, 2021

THE CHURCH VORTEX

    This morning after coming out of the woods (seeing nothing) I noticed a white NYSEG pickup in my driveway. Even though I was paid up on my bill I panicked. Too many shut offs in my past.  I asked the young women with a clipboard if I could help her. She smiled and said that she was just reading the meter and admiring the sculpture. "Do you know Noah Kalina?" she asked. I did. Noah was a local photographer. The NYSEG meter reader was Noah's neighbor and a fan. This was a switch. Instead of having my juice turned off she asked if we could take a selfie. Smile!

    My old church has always been a magnet for the curious. The first time I saw it I was drawn inside. The door was open so my girlfriend and I went in and poked around. I've told this story many times. I found a church certificate for baptism or marriage with the surname Osterhout on it. When I ended up buying the place a decade later I never found the framed document. Was I imagining it? My ex-girlfriend who I contacted years later assured me we had seen the family name laying on the floor. 

    This hunting season has been one of extremes. I had crazy action in late October and early November. Then, just when the rut should have been kicking in it all went dead. No deer movement. No bucks and barely any does. I've been hunting hard but not over hunting any particular spot. I can't for the life of me find deer, let alone Clocker. 

   After the selfie session I checked my computer for the Arbery verdict. Thankfully all three defendants were convicted of Felony murder for the lynching of Ahmaud Arbery. Just as the verdict was read there was a knock at my door. A blond stranger stood in the yard. "You probably don't remember me." she said with a smile, "I'm Andy Acerra's wife." I had purchased the church and my house from Andy Acerra in 1995. Mrs. Acerra teared up. "We lost Andy this year....and....well...I wondered if it would be OK.....if....." I invited her in. She broke down. I broke down. We hugged. Her daughter was in the car. The Acerras selling me the church changed my life. They have checked in periodically over the years and always with love and appreciation regarding what I have created with the old Methodist church they used to be the stewards of. It's so gratifying to know they are down with the CLGM and approve. 

    The emotional meeting ended with a tour of the place and I left mother and daughter to explore the woods and share their memories in private. I told them of finding the Osterhout certificate years before buying the church. Mrs. Accerra promised to look for it in the boxes she still had from those years. We all hugged and cried one more time before they left. I'm not much for faith or even spirituality, but I have to admit there is an energy surrounding 143 Old Glen Wild Rd. It is positive and loving, not unlike Shewho's interaction with Woody the partridge. Don't over think it. Just count your blessings and enjoy the ride.  Rest in Peace Ahmaud Arbery and Andy Accerra. We all have much to be thankful for.          

       

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home