Wednesday, October 21, 2009

PEPE'S BACK AND I'M FEELING BLUE

  I admit I poo-pooed GNJohn when he told me to take that skunk far-far away. I figured a couple of miles was plenty. I was wrong. That skunk Shewho saw walking up the road WAS Pepe. He had his snoot in the cat's dish by yesterday morning. He's sleeping peacefully in the trap as we speak. Today he's going for a loooooong ride. 
   
   It's been a tough couple of sleepless nights for me. Missing that buck hit home hard. Rarely do circumstances line up so perfectly. The combination of the buck fighting, making him responsive to my calls, the little spike distracting him, a clear, unobstructed shot, good light, etc., etc., all made this miss all the more bitter. I blame only my lack of shooting skill. AND it's not only with the bow I have trouble. I miss 'em just as easily with the gun. But once all the belly aching is done, let my old man put things in perspective.
  Today my father starts radiation treatment for all the cancer he has chewing up his body. He's already on chemo. Both he, and my mom go to the hospital like it's a 9 to 5 job. Week after week, month after month, this is how they spend their time. Both are sick, unable to do things they used to take for granted. So when hunting season starts I try to give him daily updates. My buck miss story had him splitting a gut.
   Neither of my parents are complainers. i wish they passed their stoicism down to me. If I get the stifles I turn into a complete whining asshole. If I miss a big deer I put more gravel in my shoes and cinch my barbed wire belt a little tighter. So, after my very detailed story about the fighting bucks, the grunting call, the warm glow of the setting sun.......my old man interjected between giggles. "You know, I'd give my left nut for an afternoon like you just had- miss and all." He was right. I had missed clean. I had called in a big buck and taken a safe shot. OK, two shots.  It's difficult to realize how much we have to be thankful for. Little things like being able to climb in that tree stand can be enormous to someone who no longer can do that. Last night the old man said he woke up in the middle of the night with a smile on his face, knowing I was tossing and turning in my bed, replaying my miss. He wasn't mean about it....just honest. An inch higher.....an inch lower...... I tossed and turned. He was right about it all. Most of all he made me realize how good I have it. Put a few more arrows into that target and get back in the tree, and quit yer belly aching. Amen.     

1 Comments:

At October 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Joe Orlando said...

hello Mike'

Hello Mike,
My name is Joe Orlando. I lived in Rock Hill and South Fallsburg in the 60's and 70's. I left NY in '77 and have been in AZ ever since. This past August I returned to NY for the first time in 32 years. In taking the "back way" from Rock Hill to S. Fallsburg, down Old Glen Wild Rd., across the old 1 lane bridge over the Neversink River, I came upon the 1st Church of the Little Green Man, and was quite fascinated by the name, so I googled it and came across your Blogs and My Space pages. You seem to also be fascinated with the Church and have a photo of its construction. Did you build that church? What can you tell me about it. I'm surprised we never crossed paths. I deer hunted in that area since I was a kid, and my step-brother, Jim Jackson, stills lives on Adams Rd. in Rock Hill, about a mile or so from the Church. He is an avid deer hunter and he and my brother and I hunted the area since 1960 or so. I have a blog of our 1 month cross country trip at www.orlando-summer-vacation.blogspot.com where you will see pictures of the church and others from the area, including the house we owned in S. Fallsburg before we left in '77. But I digress, if you could give me any background on the Church, I would appreciate it.Send to yiawda@cox.net

Thanks,

Joe

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home