Monday, October 26, 2009

VIEW FROM MY TREE

Things are starting to heat up. Last night in the stand down by the river was perfect. A light wind was blowing from the west. I've lost track what day it is. Monday? Saturday's storms gave way to clear skies and just a slight chill. All but the oaks have dropped their leaves.
   I got in the stand about 3:30PM.  I spotted a doe feeding behind me and little else. Then, from the same spot I'd seen the big buck come from I saw a tail. I put up the glasses and saw it was a small deer. He wasn't moving fast but that tail stayed erect. I'd seen this behavior before and just like times past, within 5 minutes a coyote appeared. Both he and the deer crossed the field towards me. I squeaked like a mouse but the coyote paid no attention. He had his own mice to keep him busy. He pounced and rolled on his back like a dog. When he got close the feeding doe spotted him and raised her tail also. This is not only an alarm signal, it also lets predators know it's a healthy animal and not to be fucked with. The coyote was way more interested in the field mice.
    As the sun went behind the tree line I caught sight of another deer crossing the field. This was a big deer. It was the buck. He crossed the grass like he owned the place. When he got close to the fence line another buck appeared and they lightly jousted for a few seconds. I grunted and they broke up. My heart was racing. Could I get another crack at this deer? Light was fading fast. In the few minutes I had left the bucks show no interest. I didn't want to spook them, so in the twilight I slipped out of the tree and let them go about their business. At dawn I'd be back.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home